GRASSROOTS: Growing Local Democracy - a public forum

GRASSROOTS: Growing Local Democracy - a public forum

Nowra School of Arts, Berry Street Nowra
Wednesday 28th September, from 6p.m. for a 7p.m. start

GRASSROOTS is a public forum intended to start a community-wide conversation about citizen participation, democracy and local possibilities. The forum is in two parts:

·      an expert panel will speak about opportunities for strengthening community participation and democracy at the local level – the level closest to the people

·      participants will then discuss the information and ideas they have heard, in small groups. Feedback to the whole group will be invited

Robbie Collins, head of Shoalhaven Campus of the University of Wollongong will be MC. The panel includes:

Iain Walker, Executive Director of The newDemocracy Foundation, a research institute exploring alternative democratic models which are less adversarial and more representative.

Max Hardy, a leading Australian practitioner of community engagement, who will speak about the complementary potential for representative democracy and deliberative democracy.

John Mant is a semi-retired lawyer and urban planner played a major role in the design of the NSW Local Government Act and has been an ICAC Assistant Commissioner.

The forum will be stimulating, entertaining and memorable, with food, drink and music before the forum starts.

The focus of the forum is democracy, at the local level, not politics

More information is available at  www.graeme-gibson.blogspot.com  font color="#0000FF">http://www.graeme-gibson.blogspot.com
>   
including a short opinion piece, a longer essay, and “How it all began” which is a quick trip through some of the events which provided the motivation for GRASSROOTS.  

You can follow this on Facebook: “Grassroots - Growing Local Democracy” at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grassroots-Building-Local-Democracy/1... 

For more information or to RSVP, contact Graeme Gibson. E: graeme.3.gibson@gmail.com 

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Graeme

Congratulations on getting another event going, following our successful "Local Open Government Innovation" initiative from earlier this year (May 2011). The LOGIS held in May was always meant to be a catalyst for other events and more conversations within the community. I am glad you are taking the lead and I like your "Grass Roots" (Local Democracy).

This is the way it needs to happens - a community driven initiative - which will bring government along with you!

Good luck and if I can be of assistance (from afar) just let me know.

I am sure Rob (AGM from Shoalhaven) would be a supporter of these endeavours - as he was before.

Regards

Darron Passlow

Thanks Darron

I've set a target of 200 people for the forum, which I reckon is a number that can make an impact, and I've been trying hard to promote it widely to attract a broad range of people. But have to say I have no idea how many will turn up on the night. I'll post after the forum.

Cheers

Graeme

Darron Passlow said:

Graeme

Congratulations on getting another event going, following our successful "Local Open Government Innovation" initiative from earlier this year (May 2011). The LOGIS held in May was always meant to be a catalyst for other events and more conversations within the community. I am glad you are taking the lead and I like your "Grass Roots" (Local Democracy).

This is the way it needs to happens - a community driven initiative - which will bring government along with you!

Good luck and if I can be of assistance (from afar) just let me know.

I am sure Rob (AGM from Shoalhaven) would be a supporter of these endeavours - as he was before.

Regards

Darron Passlow

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Useful sites

APS Bullying

badHealthqld

Crikey

Data.gov.au

eGovernment Resource Centre

Govloop

To see more sites or suggest other please visit our links page.

© 2014   Created by steve davies.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service